Frequently asked questions

Q. How do I get started?

A. I can teach you to cast in one lesson, nearly all beginners will cast reasonably competently at the end of the 90 minute session.

This is achieved by one-to-one tuition, the learner has the full attention of the instructor for the whole period. If you were in a group of say, six persons, then you would only get 10 minutes of personal time with the tutor in one hour!

I do not run courses where large groups of novices get only sporadic help!

Q. Where would a lesson be done?

A. Some fisheries allow us to use their waters, we will arrange for somewhere near you, it can even be done at a local park.

Q. How much the equipment cost? It it very expensive?

A. No, you can pay as much as you like, but a good beginner’s outfit can be bought for around only £120 – that would include a rod a reel complete with a fly-line, a fly-box & flies and a landing net.

Q. What other equipment will I need?

A. A good selection of flies, some leader material and a ‘priest’. We will go over all these items with you during the lesson, if you are unsure.

Q. Will an expensive rod help me to cast better?

A. As a novice, No! If you are a really competent caster it could help you, but a good quality fly-line, will help! - it flows through the rings better and has little ‘memory’ – it will remain supple, and not come off the reel like a stiff spring!

Q. When I have learnt to cast, where can I go to fish, and what is the cost?

A. I can advise you of local waters. Tackle Dealers have details in their shops. The Environment Agency also publishes a list of fisheries.

Q. What would be a good age to start fly-fishing?

A. Many begin to learn from family while still young, from 10-12 years is an excellent time to learn to cast properly, but, it’s never too late to start – I have had clients as young as seven and some over eighty!

Q. Do I need a licence?

A. Yes! Everybody over 12 years is legally obliged to have one if fishing.

(NB. If you coarse fish and have a license, this will cover you for trout fishing, in England & Wales.)